TechKnowKids (TKK) 2019 was an amazing Tech experience for kids. The goal of TKK was to inspire the kids to work together as a team, think creatively and build innovative solutions using some skills such as Basic Computing and Coding Skills.
This year’s TKK was dressed with educative/impactful sessions, such as panel sessions and idea sessions. The panel session was “ways to apply technological tools and concepts on real word problems in STEM with core subjects like Biology, Engineering, Finance and Medicine.
Sylvester Abba- A Radio Personality (Search FM)
- Sunday Aborishade-(relationship officer/Account Officer-Access Bank). With the aid of technology, things like Asusu, Adashi (local saving), etc has been minimized. With local savings you never get interest, you get what you save unlike banks. Technology has also made it possible for one to deposit money in Minna for someone in another state to withdraw.
- Sunday Gana Hosea – He is the CEO/ Founder of LusaWorks. Specialist in CAI (Computer Aided Instructions) and School Management Systems. He said with Aided Instructions we get to learn at an individual’s pace. And you don’t need to look for a white collar job when you’re good with a computer.
- Simon Abraham– Chief Education Officer of Education Resource Centre (ERC).
- Usman Jimoh– He is an IT Support Specialist, Tech analyst, Producer and a Studio Technician at SearchFM 92.3. As a tech analyst in search FM, he co-hosts a show called technology update every Tuesday on the radio. In Nigeria, we are not privileged to get good roads, electricity, etc like the developed countries, but with the aid of technology, we can ask any question and get an answer. With some Apps, we can learn online, communicate and also be entertained. He opened the minds of the kids with what Virtual Reality (VR) can do.
5. Dr Khadija Ndaisa Hassan – Veterinary Doctor. With the aid of X-ray’s, it is easier to detect what is wrong with an animal. They work with devices that track animals, heat detectors and also use 3D Device before fixing fractures.
SPEAKERS FROM VARIOUS FIELD OF WORKS
If kids are the leaders of tomorrow, rather than reminding them, we should build them up to think, act and talk like a leader.
The Former Head of Civil Service Niger State spoke on 5 Leadership skills
There is nothing we can do without technology and in the past when there weren’t computers life was a bit difficult. He thanked the Host of TKK, JD Lab.
- Creativity- they must be creative.
- Positivity- learning isn’t enough, they should always be positive that they can achieve a lot.
- Effective Communication- every leader must communicate effectively
- Motivation- they should always be motivated because without it they won’t do much.
- Feedback- a leader must always give feedback to his team. For example, when they go home their parents will ask for feedback of TKK Competition.
Mr. Nnamdi Okoro, the founder of Minna Tech Meet up and Chief Technical Officer of Paritie Dynamic spoke to the kids on why and how to be a Leader and how to work as a Team.
The lead organizers of Kotlin Everywhere Minna visited, they inspired and gave the kids gifts.
Whatever has a beginning as an end, and the 3rd day was actually the last day of TKK 2019. The kids came with mixed feelings but praying they go home with a prize. An idea session on creative thinking which Steve jobs as a case study was handled by the Human Resource Manager of JD Lab.
From the quiz written on Day 2, the result was
Best Team – Team six (6) Alkali Mohammed Binta (Galaxy international School) and Yahaya. I. Jibril (Plus International School).
2nd Best Team – Team Four (4) Edwin G.T. Dogara (Father o’ Connell) and Mukhtar .O. Raheeminna (Temlad School).
Best School—Himma International School
2nd Best School—Bosso Secondary School
Best Individual—Yakubu Nathan Shekiwoagami from Himma International School Minna.
2nd best Individual— Akpa Agnes Odachi from Himma International School Minna
3rd best Individual— Mukhtar .O. Raheeminna from Temlad School Minna.
All participant of TKK 2019 went home with a certificate of participation and other gifts.
The closing remark was made by the President of JD Lab.